There are countless reasons why someone might want to search about the rules of ‘What Do You Meme?’.
A few and most common of those reasons are:
- You f*cking suck at it.
- You’ve never played the game before.
The good news is that the rules are very, very simple. And very, very short. Meaning even someone that dumb friend will understand them for sure!
You can find the rules paper in the box of ‘What Do You Meme?’, or you can simply download it at whatdoyoumeme.com. It looks like this:
Now, as you can see there are only the Basic Rules, and the Bonus Rules.
There is not much to stress about. Plus, the rules are super simple, and you won’t have to read them twice in order to understand how the game goes.
This is “What Do You Meme?’ tells us about the game:
“What Do You Meme?® lets you compete with your friends and family to create the funniest memes. Each player draws seven caption cards. A designated photo card is chosen for the round, and placed on the easel, and everyone except the judge chooses a caption card to pair with the photo card, passing it to the judge face down.”
What Do I Need to Play ‘What Do You Meme?’
Well, besides the brain…
- The game.
- A sense of humor.
- You will need friends.
I’m sorry if you don’t have any, but you will need at least 2 other friends or just anyone that’ll agree to play with you. They don’t have to necessarily be friends, it’s enough that they agree to play.
The rules are almost the same with Cards Against Humanity rules.
You pick a place in which you can place the cards, and in which you feel comfy to sit around with your game fellas.
In ‘What Do You Meme?’ the game should start by first setting up our sexy little easel.
You put it on the table or wherever you’re about to play, and you make sure that it is facing everyone so that it is easier to see the picture and while reading the Caption Cards, or even while deciding which one to pass to The Judge.
Next thing: Each of the players, except for the Judge of the round, will get 7 Caption Cards, and the Judge will choose the Photo Card and put it on the easel.
You choose, and pass the card to the Judge.
Winner is announced.
Repeat while also considering to spice it up a bit with the Bonus Rules.
I will explain them to you by going through each: Basic Rules, and Bonus Rules.
Let’s go through the basic rules first…
But before we do, it is important to mention that the first rule is to be over 17 years old. Yes. This is an adult game.
And yes, this does not have jokes appropriate for those under 17.
- You will need 2 more people to play this game. Meaning it takes more than 3 people to be played.
- Each of you will have 7 Caption Cards(the cards with the letters, the smaller ones).
They caption the pictures, hence they’re called Caption Cards.
This is typically millennial because the person who has the most instagram followers will be the Judge for the first round.
- Photo Card.
The Judge of the round will select one of the Photo Cards (the bigger cards with the memes in them).
They will show it to you[players], and will place it in the “sexy little easel” which should be in front of you.
- Choose your Caption Card.
You will choose the Caption Card which you think will describe the picture best, or will make the funniest combination and finally pass it to the Judge (the card should be faced down).
- The Judge decides.
The Judge shuffles the cards, reads them out loud and decides which one is the funniest card that fits the Photo Card.
- The winner.
The winner gets a point and gets to keep the Photo Card. Hurray!!
- The Judge for the next round will be the one who is on the left of the judge.
- You draw another set of 7 Caption Cards.
- If one of the judges decides to play a Freestyle Card, all players will have to make up a caption.
What that means is, you all have to make up some words from your own brain and speak them out loud. Or if you’re shy, or don’t feel like talking, simply write them down and pass them to The Judge.
- If you don’t like your 7 caption cards that you’ve got for the round, you can always exchange one of your well-deserved Photo Cards for 7 brand new Caption Cards to destroy and nail the game.
- You can add your photos to the Photo Cards deck. It’ll be almost like getting an expansion pack-it’ll add the fun and laughters to the game.
Are there the same rules for expansion packs, and editions too?
Well, the answer is yes and no.
The expansion packs are the ones you add to the core game. Meaning, the rules are the same, it’s just the number of Photo Cards that is higher, and the game will last longer.
There are a lot of expansion packs you can add to the core game, and some of them only have Photo Cards.
Here are some ‘What Do You Meme?’ expansion packs:
- The First Expansion Pack
- The Second Expansion Pack
- NSFW Expansion Pack
- Mean Girls Expansion Pack
- Game of Thrones Photo Expansion Pack
- Basic Expansion Pack
- Rick & Morty Expansion Pack
- Stoner Expansion Pack
- The Real Housewives Expansion Pack
And here are a few editions:
- What Do You Meme? Family Edition
- What Do You Meme? Tiktok Edition
- New Phone, Who Dis?
- For the Girls
- Do You Know Me?
Different from the expansion packs, the editions have different rules for each of them. You can check them out by clicking on the links on each of the listed editions above.
The rules for the editions are slightly different from the core game, and from each other depending on the theme.
Tips on winning the game
If you’re one of the special ones, you know the ones that want to win no matter what game it is…
Before you read the tips, I’d suggest you try to have fun more than win.
- Think of what would make more sense, and what would make everyone laugh.
- Read the cards and look at the picture. Then finally make your decision and pick the card you think i’ll do.
- According to the Bonus Rules, you can exchange one of your Photo Cards for 7 new Caption Cards. It’s not a bad chance to get that point you want so bad.
You don’t want to forget to enjoy the time with whoever you’re playing the game with. And to have fun.
Even not winning any Photo Cards, you will win some good quality time you’ve spent laughing your lungs out, you filthy!